Starting Year 7 - Parent Information
Welcome to Harris Academy Tottenham Year 7 transition page. We hope that you will find the information on our website useful and we very much look forward to welcoming our cohort of new Year 7 pupils in September 2021.
Our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of the young people from our community preparing them to become confident and courageous citizens who can take a constructive place in society.
We do this by:
- enabling all our pupils to achieve the highest standards of academic and cultural excellence through a broad, rich and deep curriculum
- equipping pupils with the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life
- proving a well-taught and well-resourced education that delivers intellectual, artistic and physical nourishment
- providing a disciplined environment in which all pupils can learn and thrive and are challenged to be the best they can be
- providing a caring environment and a strong sense of belonging and pride in our Academy
- nurturing tolerance and respect for all; valuing the diversity of our school and providing opportunities to acquire vital ‘personal’ and ‘social’ capitals (embracing British Values, a rich PSHE programme and through supporting our pupils’ mental health)
- expecting pupils to be professional, polite and responsible
- pupils embodying our core Academy values of Endevour, Enjoy and Excel.
As an all through Academy, we are committed to ensuring that our provision is designed holistically, taking account of the needs of our learners as they progress through the education.
Key Stage 3
Our curriculum is both challenging and innovative, ensuring that high expectations are evident to our pupils from the beginning of their secondary education. Our curriculum is knowledge-based, empowering pupils to develop an understanding and appreciation of the subjects they study.
Our curriculum aims are to develop strong academic outcomes through:
- A foundational knowledge base where key concepts are embedded in pupils’ long-term memory and they apply them fluently to a range of contexts.
- Extra-curricular opportunities develop pupils’ cultural capital and appreciate of subjects beyond the classroom.
- Challenges, motivates, inspires and leads to a lifelong love of learning.
- The core Academy values of Endevour, Enjoy and Excel allow pupils to do their personal best.
Moreover, we firmly believe that to fully enhance the life chances of our students, our curriculum must actively promote the acquisition of a broad academic vocabulary, articulacy and written communication.
Our subject experts know how pupils’ develop expertise in their subject area. All pupils will study:
- Religious Studies
- Physical Education
- Performing Arts
We only accept payments online for items such as dinner money, breakfast club, trips and uniform, using a secure website called ParentPay. See our ParentPay page for full details.
Find our more about...
Reading - we are dedicated to ensuring that every child becomes an excellent communicator.
Assessment and Reports - regular assessment ensures that teaching and learning are working well and children are benefiting from a deep and rich education.
Home Learning - we believe there is significant value in independent learning as pupils prepare for their future learning, revise, practise skills taught in the classroom, and develop their organisational and time-management skills.
Rewards - pupils will be rewarded when they meet behaviour and homework expectations, demonstrate the Academy values (Endeavour, Enjoy, Excel), or perform outstanding work or service.
Uniform - we are pleased to have a traditional and professional uniform for students within all stages of the Academy.
Communication - we really value your support and developing a good relationship with you is key to the wellbeing of your son/daughter.
Pupil's Information Pack - complete our essential pupil information pack.
A message from the Executive Principal
We are an outstanding academy in which children experience the very best that has been thought and said. This first tentative step will be the beginning of a 7-year journey with us, during which we have one central aim: to furnish them with choice.
What we mean by this is simple. Our hope is that, when your child leaves our academy, they leave with more choices than they had when they arrived. They may choose to study law at the University of Cambridge, or medicine at the University of Manchester; they may choose an apprenticeship in carpentry, or a career as an entrepreneur. They may, as I once did, choose to teach. Whatever they do, we want them to have choice.
That is why our curriculum and our teaching are as ambitious as they are. If we have high hopes for your children’s futures, those hopes must be reflected in the expectations we have of them. Our teachers are subject experts, and we see their role as communicating their knowledge and inspiring the next generation of thinkers through exposure to a highly academic curriculum.
Our behavioural expectations are simple too and it is our hope that our young people will become role models and leaders in their community. We 'sweat the small stuff' so the big stuff doesn’t happen. We do not see warmth and strict as mutually exclusive. Like you are at home, we are strict on behaviour because we care about our young people and their futures.
These are strange times, and though we cannot at this moment invite you through our doors to see for yourselves the truly special place that Harris Academy is, we hope that our video and the materials on our website give you a flavour of what we are about.
If you do decide to choose our school, we very much look forward to working with you during the next phase of your child’s life journey and education. Harris Federation academies are a collaborative group of academies with drive and ambition. We want the very best for your child and for them to develop all their talent and interests whether in reading or in experimenting. Your child will benefit from being a part not just of our single academy but will benefit from the opportunities created by the rich and varied academic and sporting programmes that the Harris Federation promotes and the trips and visits that make learning fulfilling.
On behalf of all the staff at Harris Academy Tottenham, I look forward to welcoming you to the Academy in the near future.
Dr Lawrence Foley