Close

Download our FREE smartphone app today!

Get the app

Twitter

24/02/21

Higher & higher; faster & faster Please take care on March 8th when you walk to school. Take the far pavement on Watermead Way from Tottenham Hale https://t.co/0V29d6qXrU

24/02/21

Parents & Children be aware When children return on March 8th our streets are much changed. Please read all updates to email | Road Safety Barriers junction Ashley Road and Burdock Road https://t.co/Zgf1d1nPMT

22/02/21

This week's PE Challenge with Miss Constantinou focuses on co-ordination and agility - WC 22nd Feb https://t.co/EFR86nA9PY via 💪👟⏱️

20/02/21

Brilliant explanation here of why & how icebergs float. Not what you’ve seen on tv or in posters https://t.co/W9HVmjSF7z

19/02/21

Retweetd From Haringey

Congratulations to students Chloe & Kane on winning Best Arts Project at the 2021 Heart of the Arts Awards for their N17 radio programme on the Windrush community of Tottenham. For more see: https://t.co/t608ovXlo0 https://t.co/hRVUo1flJB

18/02/21

If you require help to access to a Haringey based food bank, you can contact our Crisis Navigation Service on Monday, Wednesday, Friday (10am3pm). https://t.co/ZNmuv8Pxg3

17/02/21

Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day 2021 💛 Visit https://t.co/Lq2iyEF8Tq for ideas on how to spread kindness today.

16/02/21

Retweetd From Lawrence Foley

Just a few more days to apply for some of these. Please DM with any questions. HATO is a school going places. Join us on the journey. Visible, accountable and highly competent SLT (except me, obvs). https://t.co/9JceUGSEHW

15/02/21

Retweetd From Speakers for Schools

We have heard from that we are not doing enough to fight climate change. Young people are the ones fighting for their future and the future of our planet. This we want to introduce young people to careers in green industries. Get involved! https://t.co/eQ1e2s9VVZ

14/02/21

Retweetd From HarrisTottenham

We are thrilled to announce that we have won ‘BEST ARTS PROJECT’ in the Heart for the Arts Awards 2021 for our N17 radio programme created by two of our Sixth Form students, Chloe and Kane, in conjunction with and 🤩🎉 https://t.co/mNgOVhOG9O

14/02/21

Retweetd From RoughHouse Theatre

We are absolutely thrilled to announce our Best Arts Project win for Huge thanks to all at NCA and big congratulations and love to partners and especially our brilliant narrators Kane and Chloe. https://t.co/Sht518UrZR

14/02/21

Retweetd From NCA

Congrats for winning a Award for Best Arts Project for N17. Our judges said: “A great idea to engage young people and teach them overlooked truths". Well done Read all about it: https://t.co/D4z2ToQ2iZ

14/02/21

So proud of Chloe and Kane. Well done both; that's the HATO way. And thank you for the opportunity to be involved. Looking forward to many more years working collaboratively. https://t.co/8ShiUk5dDP

14/02/21

We are thrilled to announce that we have won ‘BEST ARTS PROJECT’ in the Heart for the Arts Awards 2021 for our N17 radio programme created by two of our Sixth Form students, Chloe and Kane, in conjunction with and 🤩🎉 https://t.co/mNgOVhOG9O

14/02/21

Retweetd From Haringey

If you're intending to take your once-daily exercise in our parks this weekend, please minimise your time there; use the open facilities responsibly & keep a safe distance from others. Otherwise, stay at home 🏡, protect our NHS 🏥 & save lives. Thank you. https://t.co/DtsRxh8lhq https://t.co/lAFIRxs4YO

13/02/21

Or a final idea for now would be to check out the on demand classical concerts from This Schubert and Dvorak concert was stunning. https://t.co/0DQiA963FB

13/02/21

Or spend time looking at the eye-opening photography seen in the "Robert Irwin, young wildlife photographer and winner of this year's People's Choice Award, was camping on the reserve - when a fire began to burn out of control..." https://t.co/kQT83vZL2y

13/02/21

Or, parents, is your child interested in history? The has some stimulating films and pages here: HOW DID WW1 START? https://t.co/f8vILhaqSv

13/02/21

Parents - look at the wonderful online sites at the here: https://t.co/kHpt2caZOI

13/02/21

Or if reading is not quite the mood you are in, try the stunning virtual world where your child can play, create & make with . From at-home creative activities & games, to online workshops with artists & designers, they have a lot on offer. Design a tile https://t.co/OM6sWA9FuI

Harris Academies
All Academies in our Federation aim to transform the lives of the students they serve by bringing about rapid improvement in examination results, personal development and aspiration.

Central Office

Bexley

Bromley

Clapham

Croydon

Greenwich

Haringey

Havering

Merton

Newham

Southwark

Sutton

Thurrock

Wandsworth

Westminster

A-Level Biology

A Level Biology

Specification: AQA Biology

Method of Assessment:

 

AS Biology

Students complete two written papers, both lasting 1 hour 30 minutes and worth 75 marks.  Paper 1 assesses topics 1 – 4 and relevant practical skills (Biological molecules, Cells, Exchange surfaces and genetic variation). Short answer questions comprise 87% of the marks while comprehension questions make up 13% of the marks.

Paper 2 also assess topics 1- 4 and relevant practical skills, it is also comprised of 87% short answer questions but 13% extended response questions.

 

A Level Biology

There are three written papers to assess A Level Biology.  Each paper lasting 2 hours; papers 1 and 2 are worth 91 marks while paper 3 is worth 78 marks. Paper 1 is worth 35% of the overall A level while paper is worth 35% and paper 3 30 % respectively.

 

Paper 1: Assesses content from topics 1-4 and relevant practical skills, 84% of paper one is a mixture of short and long answer questions while the other 16% assess extended responses.

 

Paper 2: Assesses content from topics 5-8 (Energy transfers in and between organisms, response to change, genetics, populations and ecosystems and the control of gene expression) and relevant practical skills, 84% of paper one is a mixture of short and long answer questions while the other 16% is made up of comprehension questions.

 

Paper 3 assess any content from topics 1-8, including relevant practical skills. 49% of paper 3 is comprised of structured questions including practical techniques; 19% of critical analysis of given experimental data and 32% on an essay from the choice of two titles.

 

The practical skills of students are assessed throughout the course, leading to a separate certificate called ‘Practical Endorsement in Biology’ – this is simply pass/fail depending on skills shown throughout the course. 

 

Course Overview:

 

AQA A Level Biology course requires students to complete all modules and be assessed on them all at the end of two years of study – i.e. in Year 13.  The A Level is no longer formed of ‘AS’ plus ‘A2’.  However, students can choose to study Biology for just one year (modules 1-4) and complete the relevant exams to attain an AS Level in Biology.

 

Units Studied:

Year 12 Content

  • Module 1 – Biological molecules
  • Module 2 – Cells
  • Module 3 – Organisms exchange substances with their environment
  • Module 4 – Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms

 

Year 13 Content

  • Module 5 – Energy transfers in and between organisms
  • Module 6 – Organisms respond to change in their internal and external environments
  • Module 7 – Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
  • Module 8 – The control of gene expression

 

Entry Requirements:

Students require a minimum of a grade 5 in 7 different subjects at GCSE (or equivalent), including English (Literature or Language) and Mathematics, with at least a grade 6 in Biology separate science or a 6-6 in combined science.

Career Opportunities

Biology is one of the most popular A Level subjects in the country, attracting students studying a wide range of other subjects. Many of these students enjoy the subject so much they eventually choose a biologically related degree course. Others go on to careers in law, computing, accounting or teaching.

So, whatever field you will eventually work in, you will find biology a very rewarding and challenging course which will develop many of the skills essential for a successful career.

Biology is a great choice of subject for people who want a career in health and clinical professions, such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, physiotherapy, pharmacy, optometry, nursing, zoology, marine biology or forensic science.

For more information, please contact Ms Youens c/o info@harristottenham.org.uk

Please mark FAO and contact name in the subject of the email. 

 

http://sciencewithmshoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/green-neuron-hd-wallpaper-Optimized.jpg